Alison WinterAlison Winter, 37, is a freelance Digital Producer. She lives in Ealing, West London.
Tell us about your job
I fell into writing copy for the web many years ago when bouncing around LA as a freelance writer, and then video content exploded onto the scene. I now script, direct and produce narrative films, viral ads, and infomercials. And I coach people.
I was going to be the next Kate Winslet, wriggling as I was out of Reading and the local theatre scene before working as a jobbing actor in musicals and on screen. But I felt there was a huge gap where decent written material for women should be, so I got writing, with my first play produced in 2005.
How do you spend a typical day?
Project managing creative digital strategies and its various players.
My most memorable work moment…
My webseries was nominated for an LA Comedy Award – I got the news when still cutting episode 6 having not slept for about 72 hours.
The best part of my job
People. Ideas. Magic.
The worst part of my job
Waiting for someone else to do something before I can run with the ball.
If you could do it all again what would you do differently?
I’ve made the mistake of deferring to the instincts and boundaries of others rather than risking being contentious by trusting and going with my own. I think I may have missed out by being a people pleaser. What a mistaker-to-maker!
Either/Or…and please explain why!
- Coffee or tea? Coffee – it’s pure civilisation
- Jam or marmalade? Jam. Marmalade has worms!
- Madonna or Britney? Madonna. ‘Confessions’ helped me hike across Spain.
- Mac or PC? Mac.
- The Guardian or The Times? The Guardian.
- BBC or ITV? BBC (Doctor Who!)
- M&S or Waitrose? M&S – cheese slices with chilli omg.
- Morning or night? Morning. I love the stillness.
- Adidas or Nike? Nike.
- Sweet or savoury? Savoury – we’re back to cheese!
Favourites…and please explain why!
- App: Whatsapp – best way to chat to global friends
- TV show: Grace and Frankie. Jane Fonda is life.
- Band: The Beatles
- Song: Nothing Else Matters, Metallica
- Book: His Dark Materials – incredible and beautiful.
- Sports team: Liverpool FC – it’s a family thing.
- Thing to do on a Friday night: 2-4-1 Cocktails
- Place to eat: Joe’s Southern Kitchen Covent Garden – the cornbread.
- Holiday spot: The Exumas. Swimming piggies!
- Piece of advice you’ve been given: If an opportunity comes up, don’t wait to see if it’s gold plated. Grab it and see what happens.